Make a Complaint

This page provides advice on making a complaint against the police.

You can make a complaint directly to the police force concerned or through the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) or another organisation. Whatever the route, all complaints will be recorded by the police force itself.

If you want to make a complaint you can:

  • Go into any police station and ask for your complaint to be recorded.
  • Contact the police headquarters of the police force concerned by phone or post. For Derbyshire Constabulary, write to the Professional Standards Department, Police Headquarters, Butterley Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3RS, or telephone the main contact management centre on the new national 101 telephone number.  
  • Contact a solicitor or your MP and ask them to make a complaint for you.
  • Nominate a person to act on your behalf (they must have your written consent).
  • Contact the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) directly at: 90 High Holborn, London WC1V 6BH, telephone: 0300 020 0096 or Email:  They will pass on the details of your complaint to the police force concerned.
  • Contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

This protocol explains how the Derbyshire Police Authority handles complaints made by, or on behalf of, a member of the public against a senior police officer.

The Authority is responsible for handling complaints and allegations of misconduct against senior police officers in the Derbyshire Constabulary. The complaints system is overseen by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).